Below are various webpages and music selections I collected and organized from the public domain and Dr.Albert’s music library.
Culturally Responsive Music Classroom
Good resources for elementary general music and chorus classroom.
IRIS Module on Cultural and Linguistic Differences
Important notes taken from the Module:
When teachers learn about their students’ backgrounds and personal experiences, they have the potential to change how they provide instruction. Further, teachers who embrace a fuller understanding of their students’ backgrounds and personal experiences can use them as a tool to make connections for their students. Teachers can do this by:
- Including curriculum content about the histories, contributions, experiences, points of view, and concerns relevant to students from diverse backgrounds
- Providing curriculum content to students in a way that is validating and meaningful
- Using a number of sources in addition to textbooks to provide curriculum content
- Making connections between background knowledge and content standards
- Utilizing an array of instructional strategies (e.g., role-playing exercises, response cards) to address students’ distinct preferences
- Teaching students to respect their own and others’ cultural identities and differences
- Promoting multicultural education during instruction as well as during other school activities
- Using multicultural literature to teach reading and writing and to illustrate the social or cultural contributions made by various groups of people
IRIS Module on Collaborating with Families
Decolonizing the Music Room
Decolonizing the Music Room’s website has a wealth of resources aimed at challenging the dominance of White Western European and American music in music education and seeks to develop discourse and training opportunities to center BBIPOC (Black, Brown, Indigenous, People of Color) voices and experiences in music education spaces. The resource site contains podcasts, repertoire and music, research and philosophy, and book selections from various composers, writers, and distributors with different cultural backgrounds.
Institute for Composer Diversity
The Institute for Composer Diversity is dedicated to the celebration, education, and advocacy of music created by composers from historically underrepresented groups through database resources and programming analysis.
Diverse Composers of Wind Band Music
This Google Spreadsheet lists women composers, composers of color, and LGBTQIA+ composers and their compositions.
Music by Black Composers
Classical Music from Africa and the African Diaspora
LGBTQ Band Composers Project
The Composers Equity Project
A Database of ALAANA, Women, and Gender Non-Conforming Composers. The list was updated till March 12, 2020.